Hello again. Tracy from Foodie Friends Friday here. I am back this week with my original blog "Busy Vegetarian Mom".
This blog I started to help keep my family on track with our new diet after taking a health class (CHIP) to help reduce my husbands cholesterol. I didn't know then that the only source of cholesterol is animal fat. To eliminate cholesterol, you need to switch to a Vegan diet. Easy? Well, not as hard as I thought.
Along our journey we came up with a lot of new recipes and answers to a lot of questions most beginners have, so I thought the best way to record them would be to blog it. Then just maybe, someone else would find it useful too. I guess the info was valuable as I do have a lot more followers that I thought I would. That just motivates me to keep on track and keep bringing new recipes.
Most of our recipes are "Vegan" (no animal product), but I call us "Vegetarian" because we do still eat "egg beaters"/Egg Whites and Fat Free Cheeses from time to time. Regardless of the label, I have done all I can to substitute the "bad" foods with "good". For instance, replace milk with soy, almond, coconut or rice milk. Replace eggs with flax seed or "egg replacer". Sub regular flour for whole wheat or oat flour. Sub applesauce for oil. Replace sugar with natural or sugar free substitutes, and cheese with a vegan cheese substitute. Doing this we reduce the fats and sugars and produce ZERO Cholesterol!
Please do come over to my blog at Busy Vegetarian Mom and check out all of my recipes. You will definitely find something you like. I have recipes from Breakfast to Dessert, a little healthy something for everyone!
Today, I really debated what recipe to bring you and I finally settled on this one. It is not as "healthy" as I would like...If you were really good, you would bake these instead of pan fry! My hubby LOVED it and it is really just a fun recipe for summer (fall). I hope you enjoy.
Fried Green Tomatoes with Plum Jalapeno Sauce
or try it stacked with Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (not a healthy choice but yummy none the less)
- 2 Cups Plums (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 TBSP Jalapeno (canned/jarred-about 4 slices)
- 1 packet of Truvia
- 3 Green Tomatoes Sliced
- 1 Cup Egg Substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1/4 Cup Soy Milk
- 1 Cup Panko Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Mexican Paprika
- 1 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
- Start sauce: Add all sauce ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Stir. Bring to boil and simmer until reduced (about 15 minutes).
- Add a bit of water (stir) to thin before serving (about 1/2 Cup).
- If necessary, use a hand mixer to smooth the sauce.
- Prepare Tomatoes: Make egg mixture in a small pan with eggs/milk. In a separate pan, combine panko, flour and seasoning.
- Dip your sliced tomato into the egg mixture then place in panko mixture to coat.
- Place in small frying pan (med heat) with small amount of canola oil and brown on each side (approx. 2 minutes per side)
- Remove tomatoes and place on paper towel and dab off excess oil.
Serve it up however you like! I hope you LOVE it too!
Post a Comment
Thank you so very much for visiting Addicted to Recipes! I love reading all your comments and will do my best to reply as quickly as I can. I sure hope you will come back and visit again soon!